Founded in 1958 as a mission congregation serving Lutherans in the Huntsville community, Grace Lutheran began in a one room cinderblock building. Early in its ministry, Grace identified education as a critical need and mission opportunity and Grace Lutheran School was established in 1963. Today we are a congregation determined to carry out the missio Dei (the mission of God). Our congregation is a mid-sized congregation of 625 members, our school serves 160 students, and our Child Development Center cares for and nurtures 100 young children. This timeline highlights key milestones in our ministry.
First LCMS service is held in Huntsville, AL, at the Russel Erskine Hotel by Reverend E.T. Toon.
The LCMS Southern District authorizes the immediate opening of a mission church in Huntsville, AL.
Grace Lutheran is chosen to be the name of the congregation and the first official church service is held with 82 persons in attendance.
Grace Lutheran School opens its doors with 25 children in the Kindergarten class.
Current circular sanctuary is dedicated on Palm Sunday.
Grace Lutheran School graduates its first 8th grade class.
Family Life Center is dedicated.
Year-long celebration of 50th anniversary.
Mommy’s Time Out (MTO) becomes the Child Development Center (CDC) and part of the School ministry.
New classrooms above the Family Life Center gym are dedicated.